While we recommend using Google Calendar to set up 1-to-1 student drop-ins, you can also add a block in Moodle with a permanent link to Google Meet that your students can use to join your online office hours.
Adding the block
- Once the block appears on the left-hand side, click the cog icon on the right and choose Configure (new HTML block) block.
- Give a title to the block and click to switch to HTML mode.
- Copy the code below and paste it into the HTML field:
<p style="text-align: center;"><img src="https://radar.brookes.ac.uk/radar/file/1fadde6c-da9b-42df-9673-d409ba432b8f/1/online-office-hours.svg" alt="Two bubble icons on top each other." width="150" height="111" class="img-responsive atto_image_button_middle"></p> <p style="text-align: center;">Every Tuesday, 1pm-2pm</p> <p style="text-align: center;"><a href="paste the google meet link here" class="btn btn-primary" target="_blank">Join</a></p>
- In the code above replace Every Tuesday, 1pm-2pm with the date and time that you are available for office hours.
- Open your Brookes Gmail in a new tab, click the grid from the top right and choose Meet. Then click Join or start a meeting.
- Click Join now and copy the Google Meet link right above ‘Copy joining info’.
- Return to Moodle and paste the Meet link to replace the words
paste the google meet link herein the code in step 4.
- Click to switch from HTML to text mode and then Save Changes at the bottom of the screen.
Pros and cons of using a block
1. Easy 1-click access to office hours via the module in Moodle.
2. Skip Google Calendar invites.
3. Fewer emails with students.
1. No waiting room — other students will be able to join the room when you are already with another student.
2. No reminders — you will have to rely on students to remember to enter the room.