The best place to edit your meeting recording is within Panopto. The Zoom lecture recordings that you edit within Panopto will remain available on the platform for as long as defined by the recording policy (see clause 5.4 in the Recordings policy).
Editing the recording
Note: you should only edit recordings if absolutely necessary, for example if the lecturer considers some content to be inappropriate for further viewing because a student became upset, if a student requests that they be removed from the video, or if a lecturer would like to remove extra content from the beginning or end of a recording. You will also need to enable and edit the captions for your video.
Get started editing your video.
Click on the Panopto LTI Activity you created in your Moodle course to open the activity.
- Click My Folder (from the left-hand sidebar).
- Click Meeting recordings.
- Locate the recording you want to edit.
- Hover your mouse over the title and click Edit. The Panopto Editor will open.
Editing using the Panopto Timeline
In the Panopto Editor, at the bottom of the screen the Panopto Timeline appears.
- To trim the beginning of the recording, place your mouse cursor at the beginning of the timeline until it becomes a double-sided arrow. Click and drag to the right to select how many minutes and seconds you wish to trim from the beginning of your recording.
- To trim the end of the recording, place your mouse cursor at the end of the timeline until it becomes a double-sided arrow. Click and drag to the left to select how many minutes and seconds you wish to trim from the end of your recording.
- To remove segments of the recording in the middle, play your video from the beginning and pause it right before the part you want to remove starts. Where the removed part starts is determined by the red vertical line.
- Click and hold the red vertical line until it becomes a thicker dark grey line.
- Don’t let your mouse cursor go and while clicking, drag the dark grey line to trim out the section of the video. Then let go. The part of the video that will be removed should be highlighted with a black transparent background.
- Once finish, click Apply (purple button) at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Once you click Apply, depending on the number of changes you made in the recording (e.g. how many parts you trimmed in the timeline), Panopto will have to process these changes.
- In the meantime you can click See other sessions in Meeting Recordings.
You will return the Meeting Recordings folder and the recording may still be shown as processing. Depending on the length of the video this may take up to 24 hours.