When adding a Moodle assignment activity in Moodle, there are a number of configuration options; this article suggests a typical configuration.
Add assignment to Moodle
To set up an assignment dropbox:
- Go to your Moodle course and turn editing on.
- In the section where you will add the submission dropbox, click Add an activity or resource (at bottom-right of section).
- From the activity chooser select Assignment (first choice) and click Add.
- Configure the settings as outlined below.
- Click Save and return to course (bottom of the screen).
Configure assignment settings
When configuring a Moodle assignment, make sure the following settings have been configured. There are other settings that you can change for group work submissions, different types of feedback, and more. The following suggested settings are for a general set-up for a standard Moodle assignment.
- Assignment name: Give a title to your assignment which will appears as a link in the homepage of your course.
- Description: Description is an optional field, but it’s good practice to include useful information for your students, e.g. the deadline of the submission, requirements for file names of the submissions, anonymity etc.
- Allow submissions from: Sets the date when your students will be able to start submitting their work.
- Due date: The deadline for submissions.
- Cut-off date: The date after which students will no longer be able to submit their work.
- Remind me to grade by: Sets priorities for the notifications and reminders on the teacher’s dashboard.
- Submission types:
- File submissions is selected by default. You can also choose Online text
- Accepted file types: Can be used to limit the types of files students are allowed to submit.
When you are finished configuring settings, select Save and return to course.