If you have a file-heavy course, with many presentations or word-processed documents, instead of listing them one by one, consider adding them to a Folder. This has the benefit of not only shortening your course page but also allows you to organise your files into subfolders, which can then display indented on the page directly or expanded when clicking the link.
Add the folder and files
To add a folder to your course:
- Turn editing on.
- Go to a section in your course and click Add an activity or resource.
- Choose Folder.
- Give your Folder a name.
- Give a Description if you wish, and tick the box to display that description on the course page if needed.
- In the Content section you can drag and drop files to add them to the folder.
- Alternatively, you can click the Add file button, click Upload a file, then Choose File. Another screen will pop up and you can find and select the file in your File Explorer.
You may want to organise your files into subfolders. To create a subfolder:
- Click the Add folder button, give your folder a name and click Create folder.
- Create as many subfolders as you need.
- Click on a subfolder to then add files to it (as described in steps 6 and 7 above).
Choose how to display the folder
- Next, choose how to Display folder contents on the course page, Inline on a course page or On a separate page.
- Optionally, tick the box to Show subfolders expanded.
- Scroll down and click Save and return to course.
Top Tip: If you would like your students to engage with file resources in a specified order, then name your files with a numeric prefix, 01, 02, 03, etc. Otherwise files will be listed alphabetically.
Moodle support: Streamline your course page