When you upload your own recording to Panopto or when Zoom sends the recording to Panopto after a meeting, then Panopto needs to process the audio track of the recording before it generates captions and allows you to attach them to the video.
You can see the progress below the recording title as shown in Figure 1:
Once the process has finished, the status will change to ‘Publishing podcast’.
Once all of the processes are complete, captions should appear automatically. You will see a ‘cc’ icon under the title of the video if captions have been added automatically.
In the unlikely event this does not appear, you can work through the following steps.
- Hover your mouse over the video and click Edit.
- On the left, click Captions.
- Click Import captions.
- Select Upload or Request captions.
- Under the section ‘Request Captions’ find Service level.
- Choose Automatic Machine Captions from the dropdown list.
- Click Order.
For videos that are shorter than one hour, the ASR generated captions may take up to 8 hours to appear. For videos that are one hour or more the process may take up to 24 hours.