A student contacts you to say they submitted the wrong assignment or a draft version of their assignment by mistake.
When an assignment drop box is configured to allow one submission only, i.e. ‘students cannot resubmit’, or if the Due Date has passed, a student will not be allowed to resubmit.
Note: Since Summer 2022 the default Turnitin setting is ‘students cannot resubmit’.
Module Leaders, at their own discretion, can delete the incorrect submission – then the student will be able to resubmit.
Before you delete a submission you should follow these steps carefully:
- Find the Paper ID of the incorrect submission. This is easy to do if the drop box is not anonymous because you can search by student name. If the drop box is anonymous then ask the student to provide their ‘Turnitin Digital Receipt’ – they will have received it by email when they made their submission. It includes the unique TII Paper ID, the name of the drop box they submitted to and the date and time it was submitted.
- Make a note of the Paper ID (the student will probably have included it in the email exchange between the two of you). Keeping a record of the Paper ID is just a precaution in case you later need it for some reason.
- Once you have the TII Paper ID you can search the list of submissions by the Paper ID to locate the submission.
- Next, download the incorrect submission. Click the ‘Download Submission’ button on the right hand side of the student’s submission. Do this as a precaution, just in case you later need it for some reason, for example, the student can’t find the final submission they wish to upload.
Tip: Keep downloaded submissions like this within a subfolder in the Downloads folder on your computer. Periodically delete saved submissions which are over six months old.
- Now it is safe to delete the incorrect submission, click the ‘Delete Submission’ Bin button on the right hand side of the student’s submission.
- You can now contact the student to let them know they are now able to resubmit.
If a student submits their work to the wrong module, i.e, the wrong Moodle course, then you may want to request that the paper gets removed from Turnitin, because subsequently submitting the same paper to the correct module will show a high match percentage. How do I request removal of a submission from the Turnitin database?