- Add the Zoom activity in Moodle
- Why do I get an error when I set up the Zoom activity?
- Add the individual meetings to the Zoom activity
- How do I add alternative hosts to the Zoom meetings?
- How will my students access the Zoom meeting?
- How do my students access the Zoom meetings if I have assigned them to sets?
Add the Zoom activity in Moodle
In your Moodle course:
- Turn editing on.
- At the top section of your course, click Add an activity or resource.
- In the activity chooser, select Zoom LTI and click Add.
- Give a name to the activity, e.g. ANML7006 Online Seminars.
- Click Show more.
- In the Activity description field, type: All your Zoom meetings are accessible via the link above.
- Check the box next to Display description on course page.
- Click Save and return to course.
You just created a Zoom activity where all your course-related Zoom meetings will live, i.e. one activity link that allows you to set up multiple meetings.
Why do I get an error when I set up the Zoom activity?
If you haven’t used Zoom before, then when you click Save and display to complete the setup of the Zoom LTI activity, you should see the following error message:
To resolve this issue:
- Go to https://brookes.zoom.us.
- Click Sign in.
- Type your p number (without @brookes.ac.uk) and your Brookes password.
- Close the tab and return to Moodle.
- If you are still seeing the error in Moodle, click Refresh in your browser or try steps 1-8 above again.
Add the individual meetings to the Zoom activity
After clicking Save and return to course above, you will be directed to your module’s homepage. Click on the Zoom LTI activity you just created to create your meetings:
- Click Schedule a new meeting.
- Under Topic, give a clear name to the meeting that helps students to understand which meeting is for which lecture. We recommend the following format: [module code – session type – date – any set info etc]. For example: ANML7006 Seminar DD/MM/YYYY Set 1.
- Optionally enter a description for the meeting.
- When: choose the date and time as shown in your timetable.
- Duration: choose how long your lecture is going to last.
- Video: optionally choose whether the webcam will on or off when you and your students enter the meeting.
- Click Save.
How do I add alternative hosts to the Zoom meetings?
Seminar leaders and colleagues who have the co-teacher role in your Moodle course will be added to each Zoom meeting you set up in that course as alternative hosts automatically, without the module leader having to add them manually.
The person scheduling the meeting may not see all of the co-teachers appear as alternative hosts right away, but your co-teachers will be added as alternative hosts to the meetings when they click on the Zoom LTI activity.
If the person who scheduled the meeting (host) is already present in the meeting, then alternative hosts will join the meeting as co-hosts. If the person who scheduled the meeting is not present, alternative hosts will start the meeting as hosts.
How will my students access the Zoom meeting?
Before your first lecture, post an announcement in the Announcements forum to let your students know that they will need to click Zoom LTI activity link from the top section of the course, then click Join for individual meetings:
How do my students access the Zoom meetings if I have assigned them to sets?
Students will be able to see the meeting links for all the sets you have created. To ensure the set meetings reflect the smaller groups to support their learning, remind students they have been allocated to sets and to only attend the meeting that has been created for their respective set. If a student attempts to attend a meeting not in their allocated set, they will be asked to leave that meeting or removed by the tutor.