Who can perform a rollover?
You need to have the module leader role both in the course you are rolling content over from and into in order to be able to perform a course rollover.
Before rolling over your course content
Make sure that the new course has the same format (e.g. Grid, Collapsed Topics etc) and the same number of sections as the old course.
To check that: from the old course homepage go to Settings (top right) > Edit Settings, scroll down to the Course format section and check the first option (Format) to see whether the old course format has been selected for the new course. For example, if the old run (that you are rolling over content from) is Grid format, then you will have to select for the new course to have the Grid Format as well, before you do the rollover. This is important when you use the Grid format for example, because you may otherwise lose the images in the grid. Also, under Course Format, make sure that the number sections is the same in both courses before you perform a rollover.
Rolling over your course content
Once you are sure that the course formats and number of sections match:
- Go to the new course you need to roll over content INTO.
- Click Settings (top right), then Rollover.
- Enter the module number for the course you need to roll over content FROM and click Search.
- Select the run you wish to roll over and click Continue.
5. Important step.
Check near the top that it is going to copy from and to the correct course. And, if you like, you can to deselect any unwanted items by clicking the boxes down the right hand column. Some of the items in the list you will see during the rollover process are unchecked by default and they should stay that way. More specifically, you should uncheck:
– Turnitin assignments (should always be created separately for each run of a module as they are considered new/different assignments)
– Panopto activities (because rolling them over will result in students from previous runs to gain access to videos of future runs).
– Announcements (each new module run has this already)
– Module Evaluation (you will get a new evaluation form later in the semester)
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Perform Rollover only once, as double clicking will result to duplicate content in your new course. The process should take 2-3 minutes. When you see a success message, you should be able to go back to your course and see your content.