What tool you should use
We recommend that you create all reading lists using the Aspire online reading list tool. This has lots of benefits over uploading a reading list document or linking to individual items from Moodle:
- It can save you a lot of time and effort!
- Lists are dynamic and up-to-date – as soon as you make a change, it will be reflected in all routes that students might use to access reading lists (e.g. via Moodle, the Library homepage etc.)
- Your Academic Liaison Librarian will be aware of items on reading lists, will be notified of published changes and can plan accordingly.
Once you have a finished list, your ALL can link it to your course, and this will enable it to appear on Moodle.
Adding the reading list to a Moodle block
If you think your reading list should be linked to the Moodle page, but it is not appearing:
- From the top right of your course click Settings and then Turn editing on.
- In the bottom left hand corner of the sidebar, click Add a block.
- Choose Talis Aspire Resource Lists.
- A new Reading Lists ‘block’ should now have appeared on the right, with a link directly to the relevant list on Aspire. We recommend locating these towards the top of the right hand set of blocks on the page, for consistency across modules.
Embedding the reading list in Moodle
You can go one step further with this if you choose, and embed particular sections of the reading list into particular Weeks or sections of your course page on Moodle.
- First make sure your reading list is organised into sections. For example, if you want a set of readings for Week 1, create a section in Aspire called Week 1 and drag the readings into there.
- On Moodle, go to the section you want to add readings to (e.g. Week 1) and click Add an activity or resource.
- Select Course resource list.
- Choose a clear title (e.g. Week 1 readings). You can select whether you want the link to go to a separate page, or whether it the list will appear on the course page when the student clicks the title. Then click Link to resource list or section.
- Click on the drop-down menu to change The list (which will display the whole list) to the section that you want to display (e.g. Week 1).
- Click Save.
- Return to your course to see the embedded section.