We recommend having one Panopto activity or the Panopto block in your modules that contains all recordings, instead of single videos in different units/sections of your module. The advantage of this is that it will create a more consistent experience for students, who won’t have to wade through long lists of Moodle activities and resources to find the recording they want to watch. Having all videos in a single organised place creates hierarchy and will help students find the information they need quickly.
In addition, the course folder that Panopto automatically creates for your module can be further organised into units or weeks with subfolders. In the example below will be creating a subfolder for each unit of study and then moving our recordings to their respective subfolder.
- Go to the Panopto LTI activity you have added to your module in Moodle.
- Click Add folder.
- Type the name of your subfolder as it appears in the unit/section of your module.
- Press Enter (on your keyboard) to save it.
Repeat steps 3-5 for as many units/sections you need.
– Organise your videos based on the type of session. Make two subfolders and name them “Lectures” and “Seminars” (sentence case and without quotes). Then move the recordings to the appropriate subfolder (depending on the session) by following the same process below.
– Organised your videos based on sets. If you have organised your teaching in sets and sessions for each set are delivered by your co-teachers, then you can make as many subfolders as your sets are and ask your seminar leaders to move their recordings to the respective set subfolder, instead of the root course folder by following the same process below.
Move recordings to subfolders
Inside the course folder in Panopto:
- Check the box on the left-hand corner of the video thumbnail.
- Click Move (from the button above).
- Click Choose folder or start typing to search.
- Click the arrow to expand Moodle (not the word Moodle itself).
- Click the arrow to expand the greyed-out course folder (not the module code/name itself).
- Click on the subfolder that you wish to move the recording into.
- Click Move (green button top right).
- Once the word Done appears click X Close from the top right.
Repeat for as many videos you have to move to subfolders.
Then, return to the Panopto LTI activity in your module and click refresh for the changes to appear.