This is a two step process described below. First, in the Assignment settings make sure the default setting for “Notify students” is set to No. Second, hide the assignment dropbox before you start marking.
Did you know? As an alternative to the steps below you can set up a Moodle assignment to use Marking workflow. With marking workflow, marks and grades go through a series of workflow stages before being released to students.
Step 1: Disable notifications to students
- Edit the assignment settings.
- Scroll down and click on Notifications to expand.
- Make sure Default setting for “Notify students” is set to No.
- Click Save and return to course.
Step 2: Hide the assignment dropbox
When you are ready to start marking, you need to hide the assignment dropbox.
- Click Edit next to its title.
- Click Hide.
When you are grading an assignment, make sure Notify students is not ticked before you save changes from the bottom of the screen.