You can deanonymise all student identities ‘en masse’. You can also deanonymise an individual student identity.
Reveal all student identities
For example, you may need to download student marks in preparation for upload to the Student Records system.
Reveal an individual student identity
For example, if you discover a submission file is corrupted and it can not be opened for marking, you may need to contact the student.
How do I reveal all student identities?
You can reveal all student identities at once. If you use this method, you must hide the dropbox temporarily to prevent students from seeing their result. Work through the following steps carefully:
- Hide the assignment dropbox. This step is very important.
- Change the Post Date to a date in the past, for example, yesterday. This will reveal the student identities to you. Students will not see their mark in Moodle because the drop box is hidden.
Note: If a student were to log in to Turnitin UK at this point, then they would be able to see their mark. However, the majority of students are not aware they can log in directly to Turnitin UK.
Whilst the Post Date is in the past, you will be able to download grades.
- Now, change the Post Date to a date in the future again; a date when you want results to be released to students. For example, once results have been released on the Student Records system.
- Now that the Post Date is in the future, the student identities will remain visible to you, but students will not see their mark, even if they were to log in directly to Turnitin UK.
- Optionally, you can now unhide the drop box.
How do I reveal an individual student identity?
You can reveal an individual student identity:
- Click on Anonymous Marking Enabled to the left of the submission you want to deanonymise.
- In the box that appears type in a short ‘Reason for Unmasking’.
- Then click Reveal.
Note: Using this method will not release marks to the student.