The latest format for Powerpoint presentations is .pptx. Saving in this format becomes particularly important when you are recording a presentation. If you use .ppt, the audio you record will not save properly.
To save in .pptx format instead, follow these steps:
- With your presentation open, click File, Save as.
- Name your presentation, and then click the Save as type dropdown menu underneath.
- Select PowerPoint Presentation. It is usually the first option in the list, and may include the file extension, PowerPoint Presentation (*.pptx).
- Click Save.
- Ignore any prompts to make the file 97-2003 compatible, as this will save in the older format.
If you want to check that your file has saved in the right format:
- Find the file where you saved it.
- Right click on the file.
- Select Properties.
- Look for the line that says Type of file and check that it is .pptx.