Moodle provides a set of standard scales which can be used for evaluating students performance or marking student work. When these don’t fit in your marking workflow, you can create custom marking scales for your courses.
Step 1: Create a custom scale
To create the scale within Gradebook:
- From the top right of your course click Settings and then Gradebook setup.
- Click on View under Scales from the Gradebook setup dropdown menu.
- Click Add a new scale from the bottom of the page.
- In the Name field type a name for your scale. For example, Fail/Pass.
- In the Scale field type Fail, Pass.
- Click Save changes.
Step 2: Attach a custom scale to an assignment
When you create an assignment that uses a Pass/Fail scale, you will also need to specify which scale will be used in the settings of the assignment. For Turnitin:
- Edit the assignment settings.
- Scroll down and expand the Grade section.
- Change the Type to Scale.
- Change the Scale to Fail/Pass.
- Enter 1 in the Grade to pass field.
- Under Assignment Part 1, enter 1 in the Max Marks field.
- Click Save and display.